Username policy on the new technology platform
- Must be at least six characters long and no longer than 20 characters
- Cannot be all numbers (can be all letters or symbols)
- Can contain letters, numbers and the following symbols: @$*_-=.!~
- Cannot contain any whitespace (spaces are not allowed: including before, in the middle of, or after the username)
Password policy on the new technology platform
- Must be at least eight characters long and no longer than 32 characters
- Must contain characters from at least two of the following three categories:
– Any symbols
- Cannot contain any whitespace (spaces are not allowed: including before, in the middle of, or after the password)
- Cannot be a substring of the username
Other items to note about passwords:
- Newly created passwords are case sensitive as of November 2012
- Passwords do not expire
- Minimum and maximum password lengths cannot be configured
- There is no policy about password reuse
Here is a list of don’ts:
- Don’t reveal your password to anyone.
- Don’t use the “Remember Password” feature on applications.
- Don’t write passwords down or store them anywhere near your computer.
- Don’t store passwords in a file on any computer system (including PDA’s or similar devices)
- without using strong encryption.